Thursday, February 12, 2009

Random un-deep thoughts on un-deep movies


I just caught the last ten minutes of Best in Show, a movie I love to pieces. I adore pretty much every one of Christopher Guest's movies (not to mention his great go-to cast), but this is the most perfect of them, I think. Waiting for Guffman may be my second favorite.

I'm currently (like, at this very second) watching Blades of Glory on HBO in Demand. (Will Ferrell and the dude from Napolean Dynamite, wearing a curly blonde wig instead of a frizzy red one, this time). It's kinda dumb....well, that's kind of the point, right? But in the genre of dumb movies, I really like it.

And p.s., I saw Will Ferrell walking in front of my building today, wearing a baseball hat, trying not to be recognized, and seeming not at all as light and amusing as he comes off in movies, interviews, etc. In fact he gave off kind of a cranky vibe. Maybe he was just having a bad day?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he didn't like being recognized!

I was forced to sit through a Will Ferrell movie on a bus one time (don't remember the title), and, on the basis of that, I feel like he is about the most repulsive performer working. Really (truly!), it bothers me just to see movies he's in advertised in the subway - I feel like I have to look away. The utter stupid middle-of-the-road, don't-color-outside-the-lines blandness of the humor, and its self-satifaction about being a little "naughty" and unruly while not, of course, challenging absolutely anything at all, made me feel almost physically ill. It was like being sentence to spend eternity is some subdivision of Los Angeles.

There was a great reviewer who worked for the Los Angeles Reader in the mid-80s - Michael something - who, I remember, wrote a piece about the prevalence of child-men in American movies at the time - men who aren't really adult men, with adult sexuality and adult problems. Movies like Big, for example. He saw it as a desire to escape into some sort of imagined safe childhood. My sense is that Will Ferrell is proudly carrying on that tradition. (On the basis of one movie seen on a bus, of course!)

Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn said...

ha. i don't think he saw me recognizing him, actually. he just had this sort of stiff, hunch shouldered, sunk in his baseball hat look that screams I'M FAMOUS DON'T LOOK AT ME. i wouldn't have noticed him, standing on the corner, waiting to cross the street (i was carrying henry, and bags...both heavy) except his posture was so weird i noticed.

i agree he's repulsive....but sometimes i'm amused despite myself. there's a certain level of that kind of movie i can't watch...there was something of his recently i just couldnt' see, can't remember which--but...i have pretty high tolerance. adam sandler i CANNOT watch, however. his mediocrity and wealth amaze and horrify me. bleh, vomit, yech.

Anonymous said...

Really? You didn't see anything in Punch Drunk Love?

Anonymous said...

I mean - it had your guy Phillip Seymour in it!

Elizabeth DeVita-Raeburn said...

i confess, i know nary a thing about punch, drunk love....speaking of hoffman, i am watching the savages on hbo in demand right now...